In Canada, only a Certified Member in good standing with a provincial association of translators and interpreters, which are members of the national Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (“CITTIC”), in the specific language combination can certify a document as a “certified translation”. In my case, I am a Certified Translator (English to Spanish) and a member in good standing of both the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (“ATIO”) and the Society of Translator and Interpreters of British Columbia (STIBC).

As a certified translator, for example, you can indicate that your translation is “certified” and/or that you “attest to the exactness of your translation”. You can also stamp your professional seal on the document.

As a candidate for certification in translation or associate member, you are NOT allowed to certify a document. If a translation job does not require a certified translator, then a candidate or associate member can translate a document, however, they cannot certify the document.

What types of documents should use a certify translator?

  • Driver’s licences and other ID cards
  • Vehicle registrations and driving history records
  • Birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates
  • Passports and passport stamps
  • Divorce decrees, judiciary records and court decisions
  • Training certificates, diplomas, degrees and transcripts
  • Other legal documents

At AZ World Translation we work with certified translators and non-certified ones.

If you are lost in translation and you need to translate something please contact us
at or visit us at